To be eligible for consideration, the potential Kufuor Scholar must:
- Be of Ghanaian nationality.
- Have successfully completed the first year (e.g. Level 100) of study at a Ghanaian university in any academic discipline. Students who have completed second year (level 200) and beyond are not eligible
- Have demonstrable leadership interest and experience (e.g. in school, community or at the national level).
- Demonstrate nationalistic orientation and capacity to promote political and religious tolerance, human rights and ethnic co-existence for national development
- Not be more than 23 years of age at the time of application
Nature of the Award
The Kufuor Scholarship is valued at GH¢ 60,000.00 per scholar over a 3 year period. The amount covers activities including; leadership mentoring, camps, excursions and visits, seminars, practical leadership internships, and execution of personal projects prior to graduation. Included in the package is a branded personal laptop and a stipend of GH¢500 per semester. The Scholar may also have the opportunity of participating in International Exchange Programs.
Selection of Candidates
A Selection Committee will be constituted based on the ideals of the programme. The Committee will review all applications and recommend applicants to the JAK Foundation for a final interview session.
The final selection interview will be conducted with a Panel made of made up of 5 distinguished personalities, who will conduct one-on-one interviews with the selected applicants and make a final recommendation for awards of candidature for the Kufuor Scholars Programme.
The panel will look for the following traits in the applicants:
- Demonstrated leadership qualities
- Communication skills
- Familiarity with critical national issues